I About the Europcar Group
"Europcar" is the trading name of CLA Trading Pty Limited, ABN 81 082 220 399 in Australia and in New Zealand "Europcar" is the trading name of BVJV Limited. A number of independently owned licensees also trade as "Europcar" in Australia and in New Zealand. Their legal name may also appear as "Europcar" which is similar to that of Europcar on the Rental Agreement, however, it must be emphasised that the two are separate and distinctively different entities. The Europcar worldwide rental system operated by Europcar is owned by Europcar International, a French Corporation.
II. What personal information does Europcar collect about me and how does it collect it?
When You rent a Vehicle from Europcar, we need to collect certain information from You. The service that You use will determine exactly what information we collect from You. The information may include Your:
- Contact telephone number(s);
- Contact facsimile number(s);
- Date of birth;
- Drivers licence number and state of origin;
- Frequent traveller program number;
- Vehicle preference;
- Credit card number(s) and expiry date(s);
- Email address;
- Company name and employee number; and
- Contact details of individuals who can provide professional references and other information required in the Cash Qualification process;
- Reservations and Rental details including dates, times and places of vehicle hire;
- Vehicle damage circumstances and details.
In certain circumstances, we may collect sensitive information about You. For example, we may collect information about Your membership of a professional association in order to provide You with the correct discount for our services. Sensitive information under the relevant Privacy Act includes information about an individual's membership of a professional or trade association. We will only collect sensitive information about You with Your consent or otherwise in accordance with the law.
How we collect the information will depend on how You use our services. We may collect information directly from You by telephone, fax, email, over the counter, Your completion of an application or enrolment form, or through our Internet based service. We may also collect information about You indirectly through a travel agent, a corporate program or through one of our partner programs.
You can choose not to provide some of Your personal details but this may prevent us from providing our services to You or limit our ability to provide You with the level of service that You would normally expect from us.
III. How is my personal information used or disclosed by Europcar?
We strive to ensure a stress-free rental experience and we are dedicated to building a rewarding and lasting relationship with every customer. In order to provide the level of service we believe You expect from us, we may use and disclose Your personal information for the following purposes:
We use Your personal information to:
Provide the services that You request;
- Do all things necessary to administer those services;
- Research, develop, manage, protect and improve our services;
- Conduct customer satisfaction surveys and inform You of any improvements that we have made to our services; and
- Maintain and develop our software and other business systems. We may disclose Your personal information to other related and non-related organisations including:
- Europcar International and other members of the Europcar Group, as well as franchisees, licensees or Agents of the Europcar Group;
- Your company or organisation if You use our services under a corporate account;
- To one of our program partners if You are a member of their frequent traveller program and You have asked us to send them details of Your rental agreement with us;
- Our contracted service providers;
- Credit card providers;
- Credit reporting and fraud checking agencies and where necessary to register a default;
- Debt collection agencies, in the event of Your default in payment of monies owed to us;
- City councils and government or private organisations responsible for the processing or handling of traffic related infringements;
- Driver licensing authorities; and
- Government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies where the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Use or disclosure for direct marketing purposes
We may use and disclose Your personal information to offer You products and services provided by the Europcar Group and related companies and franchisees and licensees of the Europcar Group.We may also use (but not disclose) Your personal information to offer You products and services provided by companies participating in Europcar partner programs.
IV. Disclosures outside of Australia or New Zealand
When You provide us with Your personal information, we may enter Your details into the centralised Europcar Group databases, managed by Europcar International. Depending on how You use our services, Your personal information may be accessed by Europcar Group personnel, as well as franchisees and licensees of the Europcar Group located in other countries. Some of the countries that we operate in have privacy or data protection laws with general application to the private sector, whereas other countries do not.
V. How does Europcar protect my information?
We use up to date techniques and processes, which meet current industry standards to ensure that Your personal information is kept secure and confidential. Only employees of Europcar and those who perform services on our behalf, and are authorised to handle Your information, will have access to Your personal information. We will not retain any of Your personal information for any longer that it is required by us, except to fulfil our legal obligations. With Your help we will take all reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information is kept complete and up to date.
VI. How to access Your information
We are committed to ensuring the personal information held by us is up to date and accurate. If You do find inaccurate information let us know and we will take all reasonable steps to correct the information.
You may ask us to give You access to the personal information that we hold about You at any time. This access is subject to certain exceptions. You may not obtain access to information relating to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between us and You.
You can request access to Your information by email or phone. You will be asked to specify the information that You want access to, and You will need to verify Your identity before we are able to provide the information. This is a free service unless the information You request requires us to access archived material or spend significant time in preparation or research. If this occurs we will advise the likely cost in advance and can help refine Your request if necessary.
If You believe the personal information that we hold on You is inaccurate or incomplete and Europcar does not agree with You, we will provide a statement expressing Your disagreement with the information where that information is kept.
VII. Who can I contact for further information?
If You have any questions about how we handle Your personal information or if You believe that we have handled Your personal information inappropriately, You can contact us via any of the following ways:
In relation to both Australian and New Zealand Rentals
189 South Centre Road
PO Box 1139
Tullamarine VIC 3043
Attention: The Privacy Officer
Phone: The Privacy Officer - Europcar (For contact details please refer to the Europcar contact us page)
VIII. What You consent and agree to
When You provide us with Your personal information You consent and agree to our use and disclosure of Your personal information in accordance with this policy including, in particular to:
Our use and disclosure of that information in order to provide the service You have requested and for any other compatible purpose including the management, protection and development of our business;
The disclosure of Your personal information to entities located outside of Australia in the case of Australian Rentals and New Zealand in the case of New Zealand rentals. This may include disclosures to Europcar International located in France, as well as franchisees or licensees of the Europcar Group, our service providers and program partner organisations. You should understand that once Your information is held outside of Australia or New Zealand it may not receive the same level of protection that the Privacy Act/s requires; and
Our use and disclosure of Your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
IX Changes to this Policy