The worldwide rental system operated as Europcar is owned by Europcar International, a French Corporation. A number of independently owned licensees also trade as Europcar in Australia, New Zealand and internationally.
In New Zealand, Europcar and InterRent are the trading names of BVJV Limited (Company number 1171885).
In this policy:
Credit Information means Personal Information that we obtain from a Credit Reporting Body (including any information derived from such information) or any information we provide to a Credit Reporting Body.
Credit Report means a report from a Credit Reporting Body the primary purpose of which is to assist with the assessment of the creditworthiness of an individual.
Personal Information has the meaning given under the Privacy Act.
Privacy Act means the Privacy Act 2020 (NZ), as amended from time to time.
Privacy Officer means Europcar's first point of contact for privacy related matters (the Privacy Officer can be contacted using the details in section 16 below).
Related Companies has the same meaning as under the Companies Act 1993 (NZ) and includes our franchisees.
Services means the offers and services provided by us, including vehicle hire services and the Europcar Privilege Loyalty Programs.
Website means www.europcar.co.nz and other websites and forms of social media where you post comments or we interact with you.
The meaning of any general language is not restricted by any accompanying example and the words 'includes', 'including', 'such as', 'for example' or similar words are not words of limitation.
3.1 Personal Information we collect
To provide you with our Services, we need to collect Personal Information. If we do not collect the Personal Information or if any of the Personal Information you provide is incomplete or inaccurate, we may not be able to provide the Services or those Services may be compromised.
Depending on the nature of the Services we provide to you, the personal information we collect may include:
- your name, email address, telephone numbers and address;
- date of birth;
- banking information including account details, credit card details and expiry dates;
- drivers licence number (including taking a photocopy of your licence);
- a copy of identity verification documentation (e.g. copy of passport, utility bill or Medicare card);
- frequent traveller program number;
- information on a professional group to which you belong (e.g. you may disclose that to obtain a discount available to members of that group);
- vehicle preference;
- company name and employee number;
- contact details of individuals who can provide professional references and other information required;
- reservations and rental details including dates, times and places of vehicle hire;
- information relevant to vehicle damage which may include filming the vehicle at the time it is collected and returned (which may include incidental filming of the occupants of the vehicle); and
- any other Personal Information relevant to the Services we provide to you or any decision we make whether to provide a Service to you.
3.2 Vehicle tracking and locating
Europcar uses GPS tracking or other electronic tools (GPS device) to enable the geographical locations of its vehicles to be tracked or located.
Information from the GPS device may be used:
- to provide information to the police or other authorities in the event that the vehicle is stolen or is not returned at the end of the hire period;
- in the event of an accident or incident relating to the vehicle during the hire period, e.g. to verify the location of the vehicle at the time of the alleged accident or incident;
- to identify the exact location of the vehicle in the event of a reported breakdown and to provide that location to breakdown responders (e.g. the local Automobile Association);
- to identify whether the vehicle is being used in an area prohibited under the terms and conditions of rental;
- to locate the vehicle in the event of an emergency; or
- for any other purpose permitted under the Privacy Act or any other law.
We aim to collect Personal Information directly from you. We may also collect Personal Information:
If at any time you supply Personal Information to us about any other person (e.g. another member of your household or you post a photo on our Facebook page), you are responsible for ensuring that you are authorised to do so and that the relevant person has consented to the disclosure to us.
We have partnered with reputable third parties to offer you a variety of travel services. All travel services throughout our Website that are provided by a third-party partner are described as such. Although we only work with reputable third parties, our business partners may have different privacy policies and practices than Europcar.
There are also several places throughout our Website that may link you to other websites that do not operate under Europcar information privacy practices. When you click through to these web sites, Europcar websites information privacy practices no longer apply. We recommend that you examine the privacy statements for all third party websites to understand their procedures for collecting, using, and disclosing your information.
Here are some of our partners:
NATIONAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE
MILES & MORE
SINGAPORE AIRLINES KRISFLYER PROGRAM
VELOCITY FREQUENT FLYER
We may film vehicles as they exit and re-enter a Rental Station for security purposes and to confirm the condition of the vehicle and to identify any damage which may have occurred during the rental period. Any film taken of the vehicle may be high resolution and may include images of the occupants of the vehicle from which it may be possible to identify the occupants of the vehicle. Any filming of the occupants is purely incidental. The film will be used for the purpose of identifying damage, recovering payment for any damage and any other purpose authorised under the Privacy Act.
For security purposes we have CCTV cameras in some of our locations and your image may be recorded.
We use the Personal Information we collect for operational purposes and to:
- provide our Services or decide whether to provide a Service;
- verify the accuracy of the information (including Personal Information) you provide to us when renting a vehicle;
- comply with our contractual and other legal obligations;
- respond to medical emergencies;
- process your inquiries and improve our Services;
- advise you of additional services or information which may be of interest to you;
- develop our products and services;
- improve the quality of your visit to our Website;
- send you our newsletters or email alerts unless you have opted out of receiving such communications;
- manage your participation to a competition or a prize draw; and / or
- contact you in the context of the services that you have requested through the website.
This section 8 applies if you apply for credit from us or you are a guarantor or officer of a company to whom we provide credit.
8.1 Credit Reporting Bodies
To assist us in assessing your credit worthiness, we may provide information about you to a Credit Reporting Body (CRB) in order to obtain a Credit Report from the CRB. The information provided to the CRB includes Personal Information required to enable the CRB to provide us with the Credit Report. If we decide to provide credit to you, we may also provide information to the CRB about the credit that we provided to you. The information that we may provide to a CRB may include:
A Credit Report may include information about previous applications for credit and credit that has been provided. It may include payment and default information, including information about court judgments or insolvency.
You may request the CRB not to use or disclose your Credit Information in some circumstances, e.g. if you believe you are or have been a victim of fraud.
8.1 Use or disclosure of Credit Information
We may use or disclose Credit Information for the following purposes:
- to assess an application for credit or for any other consumer credit related purpose;
- we believe on reasonable grounds that a serious credit infringement has been committed and the information is used in connection with that infringement; or
- the use is required or permitted by law.
We may use and disclose your Personal Information to provide you with information on offers, products and services offered by Europcar, its Related Companies, franchisees and licensees, its partners or affiliates.
If at any time you no longer wish to receive any marketing material from us that is sent to you in electronic form, you can unsubscribe from receiving such marketing material by clicking on the unsubscribe link and following the prompts. You can also request that we do not use or disclose your Personal Information for marketing purposes by contacting our Privacy Officer.
We may be required to disclose your Personal Information by law, by court order or to investigate suspected fraud or other unlawful activity.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to third parties in certain circumstances including:
- if you agree to the disclosure;
- when we use it for the purpose for which it was collected, e.g. to provide you with Services, or directly related to the purpose;
- for statistical or research purposes and used in a form that does not identify you;
- where disclosure is required or permitted by law;
- where it is required to be disclosed for audit purposes;
- to our Related Companies, in accordance with the Privacy Act;
- if disclosure will prevent or lessen a serious or imminent threat to someone's life or health; or
- where it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law, a law imposing a pecuniary penalty or for the protection of public revenue.
We will only disclose your personal information outside of New Zealand to a foreign entity if:
Under the Privacy Act, the transfer of personal information to any of our offshore data processors (eg cloud storage providers) will not constitute an overseas disclosure if they do not use the information for their own purposes.
We may disclose Personal Information to our parent company Europcar International, based in France. Customer telephone calls may be handled by a call centre based in the Philippines. Also if you use our service to rent a car in a country other than Australia or New Zealand, it will be necessary for us to transfer your Personal Information to the relevant overseas partner in that Country. The Personal Information that we will transfer to the relevant overseas partner will be information that is necessary for the service to be provided to you. This will include your name and contact details.
Depending on which country you are renting the car in, the overseas partner may not be subject to any privacy obligations or to any principles similar to the New Zealand Information Privacy Principles. The overseas recipient may also be subject to a foreign law which could compel disclosure of personal information to a third party, for example, an overseas authority.
We ensure, through our contractual agreements with our overseas partners, that all our overseas partners will handle and protect your Personal Information to a similar standard as required under the Privacy Act.
We welcome the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as an important step forward in encouraging high standards of personal data security.
Under the GDPR, we may have some additional obligations with respect to the processing of “personal data” collected from residents of the European Union (EU). The meaning of personal data is similar to Personal Information; however, it is broader as it includes any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
We will take appropriate steps to ensure that the personal data of EU Residents is:
- processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner;
- collected for legitimate purposes;
- accurate and up to date;
- kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected; and
- secure and protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage.
EU residents have the right to access personal data we hold about them and to request that personal data be corrected, updated, deleted or transferred to another organisation. EU are also able to request that the processing of their personal data be restricted or object to their personal data being processed. To make any of these requests, please contact our Privacy Officer.
While we do all we reasonably can to protect your Personal Information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including investing in security software, no data transfer over the Internet is 100% secure.
If you access a partner or service website (e.g. hotel, airline or overseas partner's website) from our website, you do so and provide personal information in accordance with the terms and conditions under which the provider of that website operates (if any). We do not have any control over, and do not accept any responsibility for, such third party websites or the handling of any personal information that is obtained through such websites.
The open nature of the Internet is such that information exchanged via the Internet may be accessed and used by people other than those for whom the data is intended. If you send us any information, including (without limitation) Personal Information, it is sent at your own risk.
While we are not in a position to give you advice on Internet security, if you provide Personal Information to us electronically (e.g. by way of our Website or using an electronic system such as an application), there are some things you can do which may help maintain the privacy of your information, including:
You are responsible for all actions taken using your username, email or password. If at any time you believe your username or password has been compromised, you should immediately contact us and also change your password.
You should also contact us immediately if you believe:
We endeavour to keep our information systems and files secured from unauthorised access. Those who work with us are aware of the importance we place on protecting your privacy and their role in helping us to do so.
Our procedures to securely store Personal Information include electronic and physical security measures, staff training and use of password protection software.
When the Personal Information that we collect is no longer required, we will remove or de-identify the Personal Information as soon as reasonably possible. We may, however, retain Personal Information for as long as is necessary to comply with any applicable law, for the prevention of fraud, for insurance and governance purposes, in our IT back-up, for the collection of any monies owed and to resolve disputes.
You may request access to your Personal Information or that we correct any inaccurate or out of date information by contacting our Privacy Officer using the details in section 16 below. You may ask for your access or correction request to be treated as urgent, in which case you are required to submit reasons as to why the request should be dealt with urgently. We will provide reasonable assistance to all persons in making an access or correction request – and deal with all requests in accordance with our internal policies and procedures and the Privacy Act.
We may refuse to comply with your request where we are entitled to do so under law. If we do not agree to your request for access to, or correction of, your Personal Information, we will give you a written notice of refusal setting out the reasons for the refusal (except to the extent it would be unreasonable to do so) and the mechanisms available to you to complain about the refusal.
Where we agree to provide you with access to your Personal Information, we may make this conditional on us recovering our reasonable costs of doing so. For security purposes, before we provide you with access to your Personal Information, we may ask you to provide evidence of your identity.
If we refuse to make the correction sought, you may request us to attach a statement of correction to the information. We will ensure that this statement of correction is attached to the relevant information in a manner that allows it to be read together.
You may request the source of any of your Personal Information that we have collected from a third party and used for direct marketing. We will provide this at no cost, unless under the Privacy Act or other law there is a reason for this information being withheld, this may include where it is impractical or unreasonable for us to provide this information.
From 1 December 2020, a notifiable privacy breach scheme will be introduced in New Zealand. BVJV Limited welcomes this new scheme as an important step in preventing and managing serious privacy breaches.
A "privacy breach" means unauthorised or accidental access to, or disclosure, alteration, loss, or destruction of, the personal information—or, an action that prevents us from accessing Personal Information on either a temporary or permanent basis.
A "notifiable privacy breach" is a privacy breach that it is reasonable to believe has caused serious harm to an affected individual (or individuals) or is likely to do so.
We, including all our people, take breaches of privacy very seriously. If we suspect a privacy breach has occurred, our priority is to contain and assess the suspected breach. In doing so, we will:
If we believe a notifiable privacy breach has occurred, we will, as soon as practicable (unless an exception or delay is permitted):
- notify the Commissioner;
- notify all affected individuals; or
- if it is not possible to notify affected individuals, provide public notice of the breach (in a manner that protects the identity of affected individuals).
Attention: The Privacy Officer
Mail: Europcar New Zealand
189 South Centre Road
PO Box 1139
Tullamarine VIC 3043 AUSTRALIA
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (New Zealand) - (mark the email for the attention of the Privacy Officer)
We will aim to respond to your query within 30 days.
More information about your rights and our obligations in respect to privacy and information on making a privacy complaint are available from:
In New Zealand, the Privacy Commissioner at:
Post: PO Box 10 094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143.
Reservations 0800 800 115
Same smart app. More mobility.
Download the Europcar mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android now!
@ Europcar 2020